The word for communion (fwd)

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 1 18:49:05 UTC 2000

>From: David Lewis <coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
>
>Is it possible that the eulachon fish  is named after the eucharist of
>French? The eulachon or ooligan is known as the "salvation fish" in the
>Tsimshian/ Tlingit region. Or is this a coincidence which is signified by
>the similar spelling of eu... from maybe the original oo...?

I think the reason it's called "the salvation fish" up that way is because
its run is in the Easter season, and therefore associated with the
resurrection; I don't know enough about the fishery to be sure, though; a
while back (I think in the Georgia Strait - Terry, this wasn't one of yours
was it?) there was an article on oolichan grease (my spelling, as seen
commonly on roadsides in the Fraser Valley in the '60s) that went into this.

I think you're right about the 'eu' as a French influence; or it might be
because the particular vowel is a bit different than 'oo' represents.  That
French 'eu' can be a whamifier for the untrained; still trying to work out
those strange French vowels after all these years.....as if English didn't
have enough itself.

MC