Chaudenson references

Michel DeGraff degraff at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 25 01:23:16 UTC 2000

> Can you provide the cite for Chaudenson, for those interested?

Two recent texts are:

       AUTHOR: Chaudenson, Robert.

         TITLE: Des iles, des hommes, des langues : essai sur la
                creolisation linguistique et culturelle
     PUB. INFO: Paris : L'Harmattan, c1992.

     AUTHORS: Chaudenson, Robert, Raymond Mougeon, Edouard Beniak.
         TITLE: Vers une approche panlectale de la variation du francais
     PUB. INFO: [Aix-en-Provence] : Institut d'etudes creoles et
francophones,
                  Universite de Provence ; [Paris] : Diffusion, Didier
                  Erudition, 1993.

Now, a disclaimer: There's much in these texts (and in earlier work by
Chaudenson) that I don't agree with.  But where I do agree with Chaudenson
is that creole-genesis theorists (including myself) have too often make the
mistake of comparing, say, Haitian Creole with `Standard' French --- the
latter played little if any role in the emergence of HC in the 17th-18th
century.  Instead we should pay more attention to the historically-relevant
diachronic and dialectal variants.  Similar caveats apply to other creoles.

                                 -michel.