On Haitian Creole borrowing /plat/ , on reanalysis, etc

Sally Thomason thomason at UMICH.EDU
Wed Apr 26 02:49:43 UTC 2000

The conventional wisdom is that native Caribbean tongues
had no detectable influence on Caribbean creoles, largely
because the native Caribbeans didn't enter into plantation
life.  But there may be exceptions on neighboring mainland
areas, for instance with Ndjuka in South America; and there's
at least one pidgin language that was created by speakers of
a creole (Ndjuka) and a native language (Trio, which I
*think*...but I may be remembering wrong...is Arawakan).

  -- Sally