On Haitian Creole borrowing /plat/ , on reanalysis, etc

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 26 09:11:41 UTC 2000

>From: Sally Thomason <thomason at umich.edu>
>To: Mike Cleven <mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM>
>CC: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG, thomason at umich.edu
>Subject: Re: On Haitian Creole borrowing /plat/ , on reanalysis, etc
>Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:49:43 -0400
>
>The conventional wisdom is that native Caribbean tongues
>had no detectable influence on Caribbean creoles, largely
>because the native Caribbeans didn't enter into plantation
>life.  But there may be exceptions on neighboring mainland
>areas, for instance with Ndjuka in South America; and there's
>at least one pidgin language that was created by speakers of
>a creole (Ndjuka) and a native language (Trio, which I
>*think*...but I may be remembering wrong...is Arawakan).

Hmmm.  I'll dig out some of the bookmarks I've got for the "Taino
renaissance"; there are several webpresences dedicated to trying to
reconstruct this particular identity among Americans of Afro-Caribbean
descent; I think I recall some mention of finding Taino traces within black
dialects in the southern/southeastern US, but it's been a long time since I
read these pages.  Their wisdom is anything but conventional of course; kind
of like reading the Melungeons' own accounts of themselves vs. the various
academic dismissals of same....

MC