On Haitian Creole borrowing /plat/ , on reanalysis, etc

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Apr 26 15:51:27 UTC 2000

I think Caribbean natives would disagree with this statement. In the
histories I've read, Caribbean natives were enslaved and used for
plantations and mining activities. They did not live long, because of the
disease factor, but they did live long enough to have offspring with other
enslaved peoples from Africa and Ireland. This fusion created Haitian
Voodoo and has led to such cultural developments as the Blues, Rock and
Roll, and Jazz.  Michael Ventura writes well on this subject in one of his
books. But there are still surviving Caribbean Native peoples, there is an
internet site which I will try to find in the next day or so.
David

At 10:49 PM 04/25/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>The conventional wisdom is that native Caribbean tongues
>had no detectable influence on Caribbean creoles, largely
>because the native Caribbeans didn't enter into plantation
>life.  But there may be exceptions on neighboring mainland
>areas, for instance with Ndjuka in South America; and there's
>at least one pidgin language that was created by speakers of
>a creole (Ndjuka) and a native language (Trio, which I
>*think*...but I may be remembering wrong...is Arawakan).
>
>   -- Sally

 ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
               David Gene Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Home 541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
Fax 541.346.0668

talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community, Kalapuya Tribe