On Haitian Creole borrowing /plat/ , on reanalysis, etc

janilta janilta at J.EMAIL.NE.JP
Sat Apr 29 03:32:05 UTC 2000

Hello,

To add some material to the Creole discussion, here is a short list of
words of different origins in Guadeloupe Creole, some sources being
perhaps matter of later discussions...
>>From Carib (mainly related to natural things):
molokoy (tortoise), kabouya (knot/plant), koutcha (small crab);
>>From African languages (mainly in cuisine and religious expressions) :
gwoka (drum), kokolo (small insect), bonda (buttocks);
We have also old traces of the British presence in the area :
sinobol (snowball, ie ice ball with syrup), anni (only), nyouz (news,
maybe a more recent borrowing), bigidi (be giddy), chatoumot (shut your
mouth !);
Traces of Spanish :
mi nou (here we are, 'mi' from 'mira'), yich (hijo/hija);
We have traces of French 'oil' dialects :
isit (here), areste (to stop), aste (meanwhile);
And many words with obscure origins (perhaps African or Caraib, but
difficult to be assertive) :
mako (term of abuse), kouni (cunt), hak (nothing), agouba (extra).
Interesting books (my sources): Kureo-ru Jishi (Masahiko Nishi),
Languages of the West Indies (Douglas Taylor), le creole sans peine/le
creole guadeloupeen (Hector Poullet & Sylviane Telchid).
Regards, Yann.