Translation help request - climbing club motto

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at QWEST.NET
Sat Dec 2 23:05:19 UTC 2000

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:24:16 -0500, "Rik Anderson" <hollyrik at AOL.COM>
wrote:

>I am the member of the One Step at a Time (OSAT) mountaineering club in
>Seattle (ref http://www.osat.org) and am seeking help in translating the
>motto of our mountaineering club into Chinook Jargon.
. . .
>mamook whim - Fall, fall down;
>        Mamook, action; to work; to make; to do
> whim - down
. . .

I'd suggest here perhaps using tseepie in some fashion, as it implies
getting lost as well as making a mistake:

Tsee´-pie, v.  Kalapaya.  To miss a mark; to mistake one's
        road; to make a blunder in speaking; to err or blunder.
        Tseepie wayhut, to take the wrong road.   (from Gibbs)

Regards,

Jeff