"Reminiscences of A.H. Garrison (1846)"

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Dec 12 03:31:10 UTC 2000

Also from the website just mentioned, the following contains a little bit of
Chinook Jargon:

The next day we forded the North Umpqua and drove to a small
                      stream and camped. The next morning some of our cattle
was
                      missing. My Cousin Jeptha Garrison (who had met us at
the mouth of
                      the Canyon with fifty pounds of flour, and I went to
hunt for them, I
                      crossed the Creek and followed up the stream, Jeptha
went up the
                      Creek from the camp. In about a mile from camp, I came
to where
                      the Old Hudson Bay trail crossed the creek, here I re
recrossed the
                      creek, the banks were very steep, when at the {creek}
my mare
                      stopped and drank and as she started up the bank, an
{Indian}
                      stepped out of the brush and caught my bridal reins
and said, get
                      down or you dead boy.

                      I saw that he had an old Hudson Bay bucher knife in
his hand, the
                      blade of which was ten or twelve inches long, the only
thing I had to
                      defend myself with was a riding switch, my mare was
high fil lifed,
                      giving her a knee keen cut with the switch she plunged
ahead up the
                      hill, as I was gaining the top I saw my Cousin but a
short distance off
                      and hallowed to him, calling out Oh Jep, come quick or
he will kill me,
                      the savage fkept his hold on my bridal until my mare
pulled him to
                      the top of the hill, then seeing Jeptha coming to my
relief let go the
                      bridal. As my Cousin came up he said John, then spoke
in the
                      Chanok tongue, after talking a few minutes he gathered
up a club
                      and striking him on the head knocked him down; then we
left him,
                      there were two other Indians along, but they, neither
done or said
                      anything.

                      While going to camp Jeptha told me that he knew the
Indian well, he
                      had been to school at the Methodist Mission, and that
he belonged to
                      the Church, he said the Indian told him that he had a
close tumtum,
                      -a good heart- and that {he} did not intend to hurt
me, that he only
                      wanted to scare me. I have no idea in the least but
what the Indian
                      intended to have my horse, and have got him, bat but
for the luckey,
                      or as my Father put it "Providential" appearance of my
cousin, from
                      this camp we followed the old trail to the Callapoosa
Mountains.