Quiz: Diary of William Ashley (1825)

Tom Larsen bvtl at ODIN.PDX.EDU
Tue Dec 12 04:02:43 UTC 2000

Well, right off the top of my head, cabar looks like it would be more
likely from Spanish caballo than from French cheval.  I am not aware of
there being any similar word for horse in Chinuk-wawa.  As for moura, I
suppose a case could be made for either Spanish mula or French mule, or
maybe even Chinuk-wawa lemel, but clearly the Spanish word looks a
little closer.  Besides, if "Ute" is supposed to actually mean Ute, or
Southern Paiute, I would expect that Spanish would be a much more likely
source language for such words than French or Chinuk-wawa.  I don't know
what kinds of contacts the Northern Paiutes may have had, but I'd still
put my money on Spanish (perhaps with one or more Native American
intermediaries).

--
Tom Larsen

Monographic Cataloging Assistant