A sample of _Kamlups Wawa_ for you to try!

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at USWEST.NET
Mon Feb 7 02:39:10 UTC 2000

Hi, Dave.  You did a nice job of transliterating, even with my
limited Jargon I can make much of it out.  It appears a restricted
vocabulary was selected for this work.

I dunno what Marv Plunkett is doing these days, but he can read the
Kamloops script.  A couple years ago when he was thinking of making a
Kamloops-script-based computer program, he even taught me to
recognize some of it, but it took a fair amount of coaching on the
phone before I could grasp it.

If anybody out there wants to try their hand (eyes?) at the script,
LeJeune's 1924 "Chinook Rudiments" is on my Web site.  (These are of
course full-page images, so it'll be slow going for those of you
without the fastest modems.)  It's basically a dictionary, though, so
there's no narrative prose in script to translate.

http://www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/ljcr24.htm

The first four pages are a description of the script in English.  On
p. 5 begins the syllabary.  The vocabulary begins on p. 6.

On p. 29 he goes to three columns, and in the 500-pixel-wide format I
chose for the dictionaries (hoping to accommodate the most browser
configurations), the copy does become difficult to read.

Regards,

Jeff