Ketlings pe itkas kapa tenas muckamuck haws - kettles and thingsfor a kitchen

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Feb 10 04:20:59 UTC 2000

Nadja Adolf wrote:

> Ikt hyas ketling - one large kettle
> Ikt King Chaush moxt King Chaush sitkum sitkum ketling - one two quart
> kettle
> Ikt King Chaush  sitkum sitkum pe sitkum sitkum sitkum ketling - one one and
> one half quart kettle
> Ikt King Chaush sitkum sitkum ketling - one one quart kettle
> Ikt fly ketling. (One fry pan.)

Hmmmm.  The whole issue of metric vs. imperial in the Jargon's an
interesting one.  Now, are we talking about US quarts or imperial
quarts? ;-).  Also how to render complex fractions (1.5, etc. in the
case of metric and 1 1/4, 2 3/4 in imperial frames-of-reference).  Maybe
ikt pe sitkum ikt KingChauch oaskun?  Or maybe "hyas oaskun" could be a
pint, since "oaskun" we could define as "cup".  I think it might be
easiest in the case of metrics to simply use a French loan word adapted
to the style of the Jargon, since most other languages have also adopted
the French words for the various units of this system; liter, meter,
etc.  Developing an imperial/US terminology, however, could be an
interesting exercise, and maybe worthy of trying to express across other
measurement systems (energy, weight, etc.) and trying to come up with a
modern "standard" terminology for Cheewawa (new Jargon words); I'm a bit
rusty on my imperial system (having been educated in the void between
the two systems in Canada, and have lost track of both ;-)), but let's
see:

teaspoon - tenas spoon

tablespoon - hyas spoon (unless that's a convention for "ladel" or
"scoop")

cup - oaskun

ounce (fl. oz.) - moxt oaskun

pint - hyas oaskun

quart - moxt hyas oaskum; or "kwaht" the way "kwahtah" has been adapted;
"kwahtah" is the obvious choice for that term in fractions

gallon - might be a good word to keep as-is, like "dollar", since "lakit
kwaht" seems kind of awkward and also because it seems a natural loan.
Boston gallon and KingChauch gallon are natural consequences, and I
think rather pleasing, wake nah?

bushel - tamolitsh, or hyas tamolitsh.  Can't remember if bushels are
smaller than barrels; or are bushels measures of weight?  Anyway, if
they're both volume then one might be tamolitsh, the other hyas
tamolitsh.

Anyone want to take on weights?  Distance is gonna be a hard one, I
think....

> Elip klush ketlings klaska cast chikamin pe klaska mitlite kull pe towagh
> skin.
> (The best kettles are cast iron and have a hard enamel coating.)

I think you're right that "technical" terms like "cast" might be
necessary loanwords; "mamook chikamin", potentially "made iron", won't
work because it's also "made of iron".  Maybe "hard enamel" could be
"towagh kull" - shining-hard.  Maybe klimmin-kull - smooth-hardness?

> Wegt klush ketling klaska chikamin halo tzum mitlite.
> (Other good kettles are of stainless steel.)

Hmmm.  "Steel" presents an issue.  Shaw gives "piah chikamin" - fired
steel - but maybe "hyas chikamin" or "tyee chikamin" might be more
descriptive.  Silver is tkope chikamin so you could also make hyas tkope
chikamin; but that would simply mean "big silver [object]".

> Ikt hyas pe skookum stick opitska yaka sikhs yaka sikhs. (One large strong
> wooden spoon - literally the knife his friend (the fork) his friend.)
> Ikt hyas chickamin opitska yaka sikhs yaka sikhs. (One large metal spoon.)

Why not just use "spoon" as in Shaw?  Is there a modern usage within GR
Jargon?

> Ikt hyas chikamin opitska sikhs yaka iskum itlwillie. (A big meat fork.)

Itlwillie lapushet

> Ikt opitska yaka iskum skin klak wapato pe lapom. (A peeling knife for
> potatoes and apples)

Tenas opitsah kopa lapata/wapato pe lapom/apple.

> Ikt hyas opitska yaka kakwa muckamuck man yaka optiska. (A big knife, like a
> Chef knife.)

Tyee opitsah

> Ikt opitska yaka kokshut illahee muckamuck. (A vegetable cutting knife.)

Tupso opitsah

> Lush poos konaway opitka pe sikhs kull kapa la mah keschi wake kull kiwa.
> (It is good if the utensils are heavy to the hand because light ones bend.)

Klosh poos opitsah (pe lapuhset pe spoon pe...) mitlite till, keschi
klaska wake till chako cultus.

I think maybe "skookum" might work here; it has a connotation of
"heavy-duty, durable"; maybe to be specific "till pe skookum".

> Ketling yaka munk kunsih kekwah chuck. (Measuring cup - for measuring
> liquids)

Oaskun

> Konamoxt ketlings yaka munk kunsih dly (Set of dry measuring cups)

Oaskun lacaset (boxed set of cups?).  "Set" might be useful as a
loanword.

> Konamoxt opitska yaka sikhs yaka sikhs kapa munk kunsih. (Set of measuring
> spoons.)

Tenas spoon pe hyas spoon......

Wanted to add that in your search for a word for oven/stove in another
post, at least one possible French loanword - lashowf (la chauffe) might
be useful; I think it may refer to both stovetop and oven, in the way
"range" does in English.  I may have completely the wrong French word in
mind here - Yanni?  It wasn't too many years ago when big iron stoves
were also the main heater for a house; hence "the big warm thing" in the
corner that "lashowf" might adequately describe; I was raised around
woodstoves and I imagine quite a few of you Jargonauts might have one.
Shaw, of course, gives "stove" or "stob", and it would be true that it
would have been English speakers who introduced the cast iron stove,
rather than the voyageurs.  (even one stove would sink a fur trader's
canoe, I'd imagine).