la chauffe

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat Feb 12 16:32:03 UTC 2000

janilta wrote:

> Hello, Mike,
>
> 'La chauffe'... Mmm...
> Yes, maybe it is also a canadianism. I don't know this one.
> But you are right, 'la chauffe' does sound natural in French, even for
> an oven thing... So why not.
> And there is both 'la poele' (frying pan) and 'le poele' (stove).
> I don't know if they are related to 'lapellah'...
> According to my friend in Quebec, the best Canadian French dictionary is
> this one (amazon reference) :
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0844214868/o/qid=948662546/sr=2-1/002
> Shall ask him too about la chauffe...
> Oh, btw, l'ascenseur is 'lift, elevator', and we call in French
> escalator... as it is called in English (even if you can find it written
> as 'escalier mecanique' sometimes).
> In fact I think the big issue, as you put, is whether to expand the
> vocabulary with new borrowings or with new clusters using the existing
> words... Puzzling...

As said in my note to Nadja's post, I think it's a matter of "fit".  If
a compounding seems to awkward or cumbersome, it doesn't seem very
"Jargonish" to me; and mis-borrowings (mahsh, etc.) are part of the
foundation of Jargon ideom (especially something as useful as
"mahsh!").  I think we latter-day Jargonoids tend to take the work of
Shaw and the Oblates as if that's how native people used the Jargon; in
actuality in cases like the Lord's Prayer and other liturgical works,
the interests of the Fathers (for instance) would be in preserving
doctrine, ergo you get a lot of cumbersome phrasings in order to attempt
concepts for which there are single words in English, French or Latin;
same with Shaw - quite a number of his dictionary definitions are
_applications_ of English meaning to a Jargon word, and have nothing to
do with the word as an actual speaker of the Jargon might have used it;
sometimes an explanation of a word as given in Shaw might be an attempt
to explain it in the Jargon, rather than actually having ever been used
in the Jargon (e.g. "ajbect"; IIRC he gives sick tumtum).

Anyway, I think for objects and such we don't have much choice other
than to deliberately mangle the source languages - or come up with
colourful/creative compounds/blends......

Mike Cleven
http://members.home.net/skookum/
http://members.home.net/cayoosh/