lhaksta kEmtEks? 02/12/00

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat Feb 12 08:06:04 UTC 2000

David Robertson wrote:

> 1)      Which state in the USA is the only one to have an official motto
> in an indigenous Indian language?

Hawaii?  An extended form of "Aloha oe" isn't it?  If you weren't
meaning them as indigenous _Indian_ people, then maybe Oklahoma?  I
don't know US state mottos (nor provincial ones other than my own) but
I'll take a stab at Alaska, which maybe should have been the answer for
question one....

> 2)      Is the Kartar Valley, on the Colville Reservation in Washington
> State, named for the ChInuk word for "how"?

(?)  Yeah, maybe....

> 3)      What kind of soup do you make with soupolallie?

Didn't know you could make soup with soapberries; sapolallie in BC
Jargon.  I haven't had "Indian ice cream" (whipped soapberries, sort of
a mousse) but I've had lots of what the Stl'atl'imx call xoosum, which
is like a light cranberry cocktail, not quite as sweet or sharp in
taste, but also a bit bitter.  Yum.  Goes with salmon and bannock just
GREAT.....still haven't tasted ha'kwa7, though.

> 1)      KhEltEs ixt IlI7i khapa BastEn IlI7i ya "motto" chaku khapa
> shawash wawa; Ikta IlI7i ukuk?

"ixt illahee" for "state" seems to work well; at first I thought "which"
but it may carry both senses put that way.  Or do you mean "cultus ixt
illahee" - "one of the" from ordinary/one?  Or else it's "which one of
the worthless/bad states" ;=).

> 2)      Colville shawash IlI7i ya Kartar Valley, ya nim chaku khapa ChInuk
> Wawa?

"Kartar Valley kah Colville sawash illahee, yaka nem [kopa] Chinook
Wawa?"  Please note that when I'm converting your GR-ASCII Jargon to my
own traditional latinization, I'm not meaning to correct the ya/yaka
thing or any such similar variation; I'm more concerned with the
meaning/structure/syntax than with which prononciation or spelling.  I
stick with non-GR forms such as ya/yaka and munk/mamook because the
former forms were fairly unknown north of your area - at least until
CHINOOK-L came along!  But as I dig up surviving bits/survivors of the
Jargon around BC they're not likely to pick up on the GR forms if I get
too used to them; the same is true for anyone who starts to take an
interest in those BC historical records that are in the Jargon (which I
hope to dig up quite a bit of myself over time); it's the version
they'll be used to.  So I've decided to concentrate for my part on the
Jargon as it was up here (for now; of course I'd adapt if I was around
you guys regularly) and maybe can come up with some kind of
encapsulation of it someday.  Barbara's waded through more of these
resources than I have - and Terry - but I've been starting to find clues
on where else there might be resources, or even surviving speakers or
people who still understand.

> 3)      Ikta lakamin may munk khapa sup-ulEli?

"lakamin"; I must not be reading that right.  What's the traditional
spelling, if any?  Or is it from GR?  I'm used to sapolallie, but I see
the shorter vowel in your IPA spelling; your romanization above looks
like a longer, deeper vowel (whatever the proper linguistic description
for what I'm trying to describe is...).

Mike Cleven
http://members.home.net/skookum/
http://members.home.net/cayoosh/