Fwd: [NativeNews] The 8th North American Fur Trade Conference

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Feb 13 06:51:08 UTC 2000

Klahowya- all I can say is WOW! I want to go!
David

> [...]
>
>- The Treaty Relationship for Trade Between the Haudenosaunee and the
>     European, American and Canadian Nations.
>- Use of Wampum / Diplomacy / Protocol in the Trade.
>- New Haudenosaunee/Mohawk Community in the West.
>- Migration / Influence of Haudenosaunee People in the Trade.
>- Haudenosaunee Women as Traders or Women's Role in the Trade.
>- Community/Nation/Confederacy Impact of the Trade.
>
>FIRST NATIONS IN THE TRADE:
>
>- Trade Relationships / Alliances / Protocols / History of the Trade /
>Networks
>     between Aboriginal Trade Partners.
>- Differences / Advantages of Northern and Southern Trading Nations/Partners.
>- Food / Resourcing of the Trade.
>- Environment and/versus Economics.
>
>INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS:
>
>- The Effect of the Fur Trade on Aboriginal, Metis and non-Aboriginal
>     Societies.
>- The Life Histories of Early Traders, Adventurers and others Impacted by the
>
>     Trade.
>- The Hudson Bay Company.
>- New Aboriginal / Non-Aboriginal Communities and the Trade.
>- Fur Trade Economics.
>- Financing the Fur Trade.
>- The Fur Trade and the Governments.
>- The 1783 Treaty / The 1794 Jay Treaty, between the U.S. and Great Britain
>     and its Effects on the Trade.
>- Montreal / Albany and the Hudson Bay Trade.
>- Enforcement / Laws / Policing in the Trade.
>- Prisoners / Captives in the Trade.
>- Role of the Churches in the Trade.
>- Cross-Cultural Influences of the Trade/Goods, Language.
>- Annual Presents to Trade Partners.
>- Alliances / Cooperatives / Confederacies in the Fur Trade.
>- Categories / Types / Quantities of Goods Traded and Purposes Served
>     Immediately and Long Range and Indirect Impact.
>
>MECHANICS OF THE FUR TRADE:
>
>- Harvesting / Harvesters and Harvesting Techniques and Furs Harvested.
>- Use of Wampum in the Fur Trade.
>- The Roles of Men and Women in the Fur Trade.
>- Illicit / Non-Illicit Trade.
>- Utilization of Aboriginal, Metis and Inuit Guides, Raftsmen, etc.
>- Prisoners or Captives During the Trade Period.
>- Propaganda to Inspire the Need for Military Policing.
>- Cost of Trade Goods in Relation to Profits from Furs Taken.
>- Development of Trade Relationships.
>- Aboriginal Trading Partners and Trade Networks.
>- Influence of Aboriginal, Inuit and Metis on European Culture and Lifestyles.
>- Market Centers and Effects/Impacts on Aboriginal Communities.
>
>MODERN ASPECTS OF THE FUR TRADE:
>
>- Entering the Twentieth Century and Changing Face of the Fur Trade.
>- Economic Changes in Aboriginal Life.
>
>OTHER:
>
>- Any other ideas you have we will consider them.
>- Oral presentations will be considered also.

>-----------
>

>----------
>
>Please click above to support our sponsor
>
>----------

               David Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, Oregon