"A Warm Wind and a Bad Headache": _NYT_ 2/8/00

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sun Feb 13 18:07:43 UTC 2000

There are a couple of references to the Chinook winds in the SWORP
archives.  Probably in boxes 2 and 3.
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez/SWORPII.html
I will be working on the archive next week and I'll try to ferret out some
of those references.
David
At 10:36 AM 02/13/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>David Robertson wrote:
>
> > A fairly interesting, brief, article.  I'm interested in pointing out the
> > not exactly obscure fact that such winds are called "Chinooks" in the
> > Northwest USA also.  Presumably the term originated here in /wimalh
> > IlI7i/, the Columbia River Gorge country, and from the first referred to
> > winds that blow from Chinook country, no?
> >
> > Alan, this has been discussed before on the list, I believe, but if you
> > care to interject an a propos cite or two, tant mieux.
>
>Can't add anything, except that while the OED2 definition mentions explicitly
>only the eastern-slope winds, it does draw the reader's attention to the
>following quot.:
>
>1967 R. W. Fairbridge Encycl. Atmos. Sci. 1151/2 Chinook winds may occur in
>summer but are less noticeable then. The term chinook has mistakenly been used
>for any warm and moist oceanic wind on the windward side of the [Rocky]
>mountains.
>
>The (more up-to-date) New Shorter OED (still 2 large volumes!) has:
>
>"A warm dry wind which blows east of the Rocky Mountains. Also, a warm wet
>southerly wind west of them.""
>
>If anyone has examples of the latter use in print, please send them, and I'll
>make sure they get into the OED's files for the third edition.
>
>Alan

               David Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, Oregon