"A Warm Wind and a Bad Headache": _NYT_ 2/8/00

terry glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Mon Feb 14 02:56:15 UTC 2000

this from wayne grady's book, "chasing the chinook: on the trail of canadian
words and culture":

 "Whether gentle or daemonic, the chinook makes itself felt most noticeably
in southern Alberta and Montana but blows as far north and east as
Battleford, Saskatchewan. It takes its name from the Chinook Indians, who
occupied a territory art the mouth of the Columbia River, in the present
state of Washington (the direction of which, if you're in Alberta, the wind
seems to come)."

 Wayne goes on to make a right cockup of a description of lalang. Otherwise
it's a lovely book.

 Alexander Mackenzie described the effects of a chinook wind having caused
"the atmosphere to become so warm that it dissolved all the snow on the
gruond, even the ice was covered with water, and had the same appearance as
when it is breaking up in the spring."

 lots of folklore about the wind. Dave McDougall, son of a missionary to the
Banff area, alleged that while out across the country with a team and
bobsleigh once, the snow melted so fast "the front runners were on snow but
the back runners were on mud."

 and so on.

 tg.