ISO character coding

Michael Everson everson at EGT.IE
Mon Feb 14 15:17:09 UTC 2000

>> From: David Robertson <drobert at tincan.tincan.org>
>> Subject: ISO 639 & ChInuk (Chinook Jargon)
>
>It's good to see that there is a code, chn, for ChInuk (Chinook Jargon).
>
>I want to let you know that if and when the ISO get down to the process of
>establishing a standard character-set for this language, I and the CHINOOK
>list stand ready to advise and help.

Your letter has reached me, who am the person most likely to be interested.
I'm Irish national representative to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2, and work closely
with the Unicode Technical Committee on encoding scripts in the UCS. See my
web page under "Standardization" for examples of my work on the Universal
Character Set.

I took a major part in finalizing the encoding of Canadian Syllabics and of
Cherokee in the UCS.

>ChInuk is fortunate in that quite a few technically savvy people are
>involved in the preservation and dissemination of the language.  In fact,
>we've discussed ISO before on our list.  Between the linguists and
>computer science people in our ranks, we can provide good feedback to ISO
>if, as we hope, we are called upon.

Chinook is allocated some space in the Roadmap for Plane 1 of the UCS,
about 3 columns I think, but myself I have no reliable information on the
writing requirements of Chinook, so....

...you are hereby called upon.

Michael Everson  **  Everson Gunn Teoranta  **   http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire