Fwd: [corp-focus] Marry Me, Kiss Me, Be Mine, Cease and Desist!

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Feb 15 02:34:19 UTC 2000

for all you Lewis and Clark enthusiasts!

> [...]
>represent 80 percent of the sale of candies. Of the remaining 375
>companies that are left, we are probably in the middle range."
>
>Antonellis says that Necco bought the company that makes the Clark bar in
>June 1999 for $4.1 million.
>
>"The Clark name for candy is trademarked," he says. "We wrote them a
>letter. We wanted them to recognize that we own the Clark trademark. We
>weren't looking for money. I wanted a conversation with them, to allow
>them to use the mark, but we would have had an interpretation that they
>couldn't go nationwide with the Lewis & Clark bar."
>
>"I have no problem with them selling their product in their area," he
>says.
>
>If he didn't have a problem with selling in North Dakota, why did he
>demand that the Krugers turn over the Lewis & Clark Bar trademark to
>Necco?
>
>"There would have been an assignment back to them" to allow the Krugers to
>market in North Dakota, he says.
>
>Antonellis says he was concerned that Senator Dorgan and his staff did not
>call Necco before taking to the Senate floor. "I believe that is wrong,"
>he says.
>
>But Senator Dorgan says he wants to a put a stop to corporate bullying.
>
>"How often do you hear members come to the floor of the Senate and worry
>about the number of lawsuits in this country?" he asked. "They worry about
>the lawsuits filed by customers against big corporations. What about this
>use of lawyers by a big company trying to put a small company out of
>business? What about that kind of corporate bullying? It is time to stop
>it."
>

>Russell Mokhiber is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based Corporate Crime
>Reporter. Robert Weissman is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based
>Multinational Monitor. They are co-authors of Corporate Predators: The
>Hunt for MegaProfits and the Attack on Democracy (Monroe, Maine: Common
>Courage Press, 1999, http://www.corporatepredators.org)
>
>(c) Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman

>Focus on the Corporation is a weekly column written by Russell Mokhiber
>and Robert Weissman. Please feel free to forward the column to friends or
>repost the column on other lists. If you would like to post the column on
>a web site or publish it in print format, we ask that you first contact us
>(russell at essential.org or rob at essential.org).
>
>Focus on the Corporation is distributed to individuals on the listserve
>corp-focus at lists.essential.org. To subscribe to corp-focus, send an e-mail
>message to corp-focus-request at lists.essential.org with the text: subscribe
>
>Focus on the Corporation columns are posted at
><http://www.corporatepredators.org>.
>
>Postings on corp-focus are limited to the columns. If you would like to
>comment on the columns, send a message to russell at essential.org or
>rob at essential.org.

               David Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde, Oregon