Xwa! XawElh ma munk nawitka ukuk! ("squaw") (fwd)

Liland Brajant ROS' lilandbr at SCN.ORG
Tue Feb 15 08:44:32 UTC 2000

Dave skribis:
>YEkwa, na tEmtEm /skwa/ dret khakwa "shawash lhuchmEn"!  Ukuk chaku khapa
>BastEn Wawa, wekna?

*Almost* certainly -- certainly *probably* -- I would think, but not 100%
necessarily. After all, "squaw" is of Algonquian origin, and there were
Algonquian speakers (e.g. Blackfeet, Cree) resident not all that far from
Kamloops. So it *could conceivably* have come directly from one of these
other shawash wawa, with bastEn wawa's mediation. I think I recall that in
Plains Cree "woman" is "iskwew"; "girl" would be "iskwesis", I think.

Liland

PS: Are you sure about the "shawash lhuchmEn" gloss, as opposed to its being
a simple synonym of "lhuchmEn"? In bastEn wawa "squaw" certainly carries the
presumption of Indianness, but I don't think this is true in Algonquian, and
am not sure from the citation whether such an implication is present in the
CJ.