Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Tue Feb 15 17:12:09 UTC 2000

Jeff, here's a summary from Johnson about Long's dictionary.

"Long gives CJ spellings that come directly from 863GBS (Gibb's 1863
dictionary) and not through the Hibben line or the Blanchet line
[Johnson groups dictionary's based upon whose work they were based on
since most of the 18th century dictionaries were "imporvements" of
others].  Although Long did not give etymologies as etymologies, he does
give some of them as the CJ spelling.  Since Hibben and Blanchet
did not give the etymologies, Long could only have gotten these
etymologies from 863GBS or from some copy of 863GBS that included the
etymologies....

"In some of the cases where Long included Gibbs' etymological data as
CJ, he made typographical errors that made the CJ spelling look like new
lexems.  For example, Long gives two CJ spellings for the gloss
"acorns" 'T'ban-a-we' and 'kwun-num.' The first of these forms is from
the etymology for acorns witha replacement of tb for 'tk' ["acorn" is
'kahnaway' in my version of Gibb's, 'kwunnum' means to count]....

"Long has also included a shortened version of the 90-sentence
conversation from the Blanchet Line...."

Johnson also mentions the rearranging of Gibbs' work that Long did.
Regarding the number written, if it means "copies" I know there were
copies in the Seattle Public Library, Multnomah (portland) Library,
and UC Berkeley (main stack) Library.  I mention the "main stack" at
UCB, because that means that the librarians there do not consider it
rare, although, like all these old books it probably is valuable.  I
think an origianal version of Shaw's from 1909 goes for about $125.00 in
good condition (ask Marv) from Coyote.  If he means 5 written as in 5
different Chinook dictionaries, maybe a zero was dropped and it
should be 50.

Anyhow, that's it. LaXayEm, Jim

--

Visit http://www.adisoft-inc.com/chinookbook/wawa.html to preview:

  Chinook Jargon - The Hidden Language of the Pacific Northwest

                                  ####