James Douglas expulsion

Lisa M Peppan lisapeppan at JUNO.COM
Mon Feb 21 20:58:36 UTC 2000

I was thrilled and delighted to find that there were others in the world
with an interest in the Chinook Trade Jargon and *then* I found out that
there a mailing list.  I don't contribute often, I have --in fact -- been
off the list due to some serious health issues.  However, other than my
recent absence, I read every post, looking not only for a better
understanding of CJ, but also absorbing the historical info.  My Chinook
List archive contains an equal balance of language related and history

I share Brett Rushforth's reluctance, and like Brett, feel I must say
something.

My interest in CJ was piqued by stories I grew up with about my mother's
grandfather -- a Missouri-born Pennington -- who spoke fluent CJ, but I
didn't begin to actively research until my father broke with family
tradition and made me aware of my Native American AND First Nations
ancestors.

Despite this, I have no doubt said things that have angered/insulted
"Real" First Nations/Native Americans; it was not intentional; knowledge
is not genetic, as much as I wish it was.

Despite this, I continue my search for information, even though I've been
"put in my place" by "Real Indians" on other mailing lists

Despite the fact that this is a language list, through this list, I have
discovered that some of the traditions my late father, aunt, and uncle
maintained were not those of our shared Scottish, French, and English
ancestors.  Fear -- and the memories of an uncle, a grandfather, and a
childhood friend who were all beat to death for being "dirty Indians" --
as well as a desire to spare their children the shame they grew up with,
kept them quiet.  We were told we were Italian, with a "Spaniard in the
woodpile, back there a-ways."

Yes, there has been and still is much injustice.  Yes, there is STILL
prejudice and stereotyping that should have been tossed in the chum
bucket a long time ago.  Why feed them?

Much can be learned about people by how they use their language, how
their language evolves.  Language is not static, language evolves; look
at English, look at French -- look at Scots-Gaelic . . . then look at CJ.
 Language shifts correspond with changes in the lives of the speakers.  I
seek to understand my ancestors through their languages and have
discovered some wonderful information through this list.

I've quit good jobs because of nasty, back-biting tactics that served no
other purpose than to shore up the ailing ego of the biter.  I've stuck
with poor jobs because misunderstandings and problems could be discussed
and resolved in a positive, mature manner.  I am hoping this list can
come around to solving the current misunderstandings in a mature and
positive manner.

I have had the privilege of meeting a man - a relative through marriage
-- who was *fluent* in four languages spoken on the south end of
Vancouver Island.  I have had the privilege of meeting a woman who taught
the Saanich North Straits Salish to children on one of Vancouver Island's
reserve schools.

Though I've lost touch with the woman, she did gift me with a copy of the
text book she had used as a teacher and a quick rundown on
pronunciations.

The man died last March, but I will forever cherish the time he took to
refine the pronunciations of the non-English sounds.  He also felt quite
strongly that The Languages should not be lost.  Then our conversation
turned to CJ, I was rewarded with a gentle smile, and a discussion of
some of the many ways Native consonants are interpreted.  My only regret
was that financial restrictions only allowed for one visit.

I feel honored that he took the time to teach me what he could on that
one incredible day, and I thank the Gods and Ancestors that I had the
opportunity to meet him.

A few months ago, I could have said I felt honored to know each and every
one of you on this list, but now . . . ? . . . I'm not so sure, and ask
myself "I wonder how Isaac Bartleman's eldest son would have felt about
James Douglas' expulsion from this list?"

As Scott Tyler said, we each carry our little bag of hurts along with us
where ever we go.  We *ARE* all are sensitive humans, and  need respect
and need to be heard.  And we all must be willing to grow, too.  I agree
with all of this, especially the last; I may have come a long way, but
still have a ways to go.

Thus, I respectfully request that James Douglas be reinstated.

Lisa Peppan
IBSSG
Edmonds, WA
lisapeppan at juno.com                                         ICQ # 4894690
Family Research at http://members.tripod.com/~LisaPeppan/

..PEPPAN is just an American-mangle-isation of PEPIN.