Star Chamber Censorship of CHINOOK - I +DEMAND+ a vote! (fwd)

Aron Faegre faegre at TELEPORT.COM
Tue Feb 22 06:52:24 UTC 2000

On reading Dave Robertson's notice of expulsion, I searched prior postings to
try to figure out who was being expelled.  First I concluded that it must be
Nadja for the questions about words for human sexual body parts and rhyming
Jewish words.  But then I figured it must be Scott Tyler for his string of
insults poem.  [Not that either was offensive to me].  It was a surprise to
find out it was Mike Cleven.   Mike's only crime would seem to be that he is so
in love with working on the language that he dominates the discussions a bit.
I assume that his perception of why he was cut off -- being white -- is
incorrect.  I've learned much from all the list members and have appreciated
how well Dave moderated things and kept bringing the discussion back to
basics.  Mike recently turned me on to Terry Glavin's book when I asked him for
help on learning about history in the central BC area that I have grown to
love.  It would be a shame to let this list fall apart.

Here are a few books I've been working on over the last couple of months thanks
mostly to the members of this list (the internet makes it so easy to order up
and quickly receive used and new books with the stroke of a few keys):

Decolonizing Methodologies, Linda Tuhiwai Smith
Indians in the Making, Alexander Harmon
Prison Writings, Leonard Peltier
The Content and Style, Melville Jacobs
Clackamas Chinook Texts, Melville Jacobs
The People are Coming Soon, Melville Jacobs
Kathlamet Texts, Franz Boas
Thompson Ethnobotany, Nancy Turner
Nemiah, Terry Glavin

I thank all on this list for so many good discussions and recommendations on
ways of looking at and understanding things.  There must be a way for both Dave
and Mike to calm things down a bit and get on with the good work.  Is there an
elder here to help show the way?

Aron Faegre