FW: Short Baha'i Prayer in Chinook/Final

Scott E. Tyler styler at MULTICARE.COM
Wed Jan 5 01:53:50 UTC 2000

> Below is the Short  Baha'i Prayer in the Chinook language.  This was a
> cooperative effort by a number of individuals involved.
> Henry Zenk, Linguist from Portland, OR, Dave Robertson, Linguist from
> Spokane, WA, Tony Johnson, Linguist from Grande Rhonde, OR, John Mail from
> Taholah, WA, Joseph Tarabochia Jr. from Skamokawa, WA and myself, Scott
> Tyler from Newcastle, WA.  Tony Johnson, John Mail and Joseph Tarabochia
> are Chinook Tribal members.  John,  Joseph and I are members of the Baha'i
> Faith.  I am a Makah Tribal member.
> The version of the prayer has transformed, and evolved as we worked on it.
> And the current script is easily read by English speakers and used
> extensively in local dictionaries and by missionaries among NW Coast
> Indian Tribes.  This can easily be converted into a linguistic script--see
> attached below .  The Chinook language was also used as an intertribal
> trade language up untill the 1860s and was replaced by English as a means
> of communication.  Some have called this language Chinook Jargon as it had
> adopted some terms from the French, English and local tribal languages
> (Salish, Nuchanulth, Chinook and Sahaptin).
Sincerely Scott Tyler

O Sahalee Tyee,
O--above-Chief
(O my God)
	nika kumtux nawitka kakwa,
	I-know-verily--that,
	(I bear witness, that )
	Mika mamook mitlite nika kopa illahee,
	Thou-make-stay/be-me--this-land
	(Thou hast created me)
	kopet spose nika kumtux Mika,
	only-if--I-know-Thee
	(to know thee)
	pe kopet spose nika nanich sahalee kopa mika
	and-only-if--I-see-on high---that---Thee
	(and to worship Thee)
O Sahalee Tyee,
O-above-Chief
( O my God )
	alta nika kumtux nawitka kakwa,
	now-I-know-verily-that,
	( I testify, at this moment, )
	wake skookum nika pe delate skookum Mika,
	no-power-I-and-right-strong-Thee
	(to my powerlessness and to Thy might, )
	delate klahowyum nika pe hyas kloosh Mika
	real-pitiful/poor-I-and-great-good-Thee
	( to my poverty and to Thy wealth)
O Sahalee Tyee
O-above-Chief
(O my God)
	nika kumtux nawitka kakwa
	I-know-verily-that
	( I bear witness)
Mika okeoke, kopet ikt Sahalee Tyee mitlite
	Thou---it is, only---one---Above---Chief---be/exist
	(there is none other God but Thee)
Mika okeoke, mamook klah nesika kopa Masachie
Thou-it is-, ---make----free----us----from---Evil/Trouble
(the Help in Peril)
Mika okeoke, Skookum Mitwit spose Kwanesum
Thou-it is,  strong---standing---there---forever
(the Self-Subsisting)

			--Baha'u'llah

O Sahalee Tyee,
	nika kumtux nawitka kakwa,
	Mika mamook mitlite nika kopa illahee,
	kopet spose nika kumtux Mika,
	pe kopet spose nika nanich sahalee kopa mika
O Sahalee Tyee,
	alta nika kumtux nawitka kakwa,
	wake skookum nika pe delate skookum Mika,
	delate klahowyum nika pe hyas kloosh Mika
O Sahalee Tyee
	nika kumtux nawitka kakwa
Mika okeoke, kopet ikt Sahalee Tyee mitlite
Mika okeoke, mamook klah nesika kopa Masachie
Mika okeoke, Skookum Mitwit spose Kwanesum

			--Baha'u'llah

				o saXali tayi,
				nayka kEmtEks nawitka kakwa,
				mayka munk miLayt nayka kapa ilihi,
				kapit pus nayka kEmtEks mayka,
				kapit pus nayka naniC saXali kapa mayka.
				o saXali tayi,
				nayka kEmtEks nawitka kakwa,
				weyk skukEm nayka pi dret skukEm mayka,
				dret LaXayam nayka pi hayaS LuS mayka.
				o saXali tayi,
				nayka kEmtEks nawitka kakwa,
				mayka ukuk, kapit ixt saXali tayi miLayt,
				mayka ukuk, munk LaX nEsayka kapa masaCi,
				mayka ukuk, skukEm mitxwEt pus kwanEsam.

						---Baha'u'llah