(re T.N. Hibben) / masi khapa Jeff / more CJ on website?

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at USWEST.NET
Sat Jan 8 11:24:01 UTC 2000

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 18:15:38 -0800, David Robertson
<drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG> wrote:

>Lhush san!  Qhata mEsayka?
>
>I would like to say hayu masi khapa na shiks Jeff.  Many thanks for a
>beautiful reply to the person who sent you that inquiry.

Well, I try to field these well, though requests for specific
historical or linguistic questions are difficult for me.  (Help!
Help!)  A month ago I added an "email page" to the Web sites gently
discouraging inquiries from outside my very circumscribed range of
expertise, and they started to trail off.

>Don't let me volunteer you, Jeff, for even more CJ work -- but I do know
>of several more sources which might serve well in the form of small
>samples on your website.

>Showing the diverse range of printed CJ literature is a fine service
>you're rendering with your website.  I've been meaning to share samples
>via this list of some of the less easily found items, and you all will be
>seeing these fairly soon.

Well, what the heck, please send them along.  Things are getting
busier in my life as my health improves, but I am proud to furnish
one of the hubs for the group, and will try to squeeze in what time I
can.  Getting the dictionaries up was also very good
HTML/JavaScript/image editing exercise (and I haven't worked all the
bugs out of it yet... how could I know someone would try to view them
with a browser configured for Japanese?), so it's not too far out off
from the voc rehab training program which I'm pursuing at present.

(The TW site was really built primarily to build my Web skills, and I
chose the Jargon mostly on whim as an interesting and uncommon
subject, then Duane graciously and trustingly lent me a chunk of
great material to work with, and fortuitously the whole business led
me to meet all these terrific people.)

The dictionary page images did stuff my Geocities Web space full (now
20MB) but I suppose I can let some of it slop over into some other
Web space I have for another project.  I pay $5 a month to GC and
could probably double my space there for another five bucks.  (Alas,
if I get any more sound files to add to the site--which I'd like to;
get out those tape recorders, folks--there will have to be a major
reshuffling.)

>I'm not referring to my own collection right now, but I wonder if Hibben
>is the book that, in its first incarnation, showed up in 1871.  One of the
>longest-lived printed guides to Chinook Jargon.

Could well be.  The inquirer has an edition dated 1899, which I have
seen other references to, but the one I found on Canadiana.org is
undated (on the microfilm and in their catalog), and is therefore
probably earlier, if not the 1871 one itself.

(See http://www.canadiana.org/cgi-bin/ECO/mtq?id=43d001064e&doc=37625
if you can, or go to their home page and search by publisher for
"Hibben"--there are only two entries, and the other one is already up
on the TW site.)

>Best,
>Dave

So, Dave, are you dodging the Y2K bug?  Your message had 1/7/99 on
it.  Hey, it won't bite, and I'm trying to keep my archives straight
here! (Even Henry's old computer made it into this century.  I think
at this point we can regard Y2K as having been just a "rhetorical
question."   Oops, very bad pun, sorry ;->) (Two messages I got
several months ago from someone sharing a rickety university lab
computer in Europe will sit at the top of my list until 2006...)

Regards,

Jeff

P.P.S.  The TW page hit count bumped up noticeably in mid-November,
following its mention in the anthro and SSILA bulletins.  But there
remains an unexplained bump on my "Jargon Introduction" page traffic
in mid-December.  Did anybody notice it appearing in print someplace?