kopar

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Jan 16 08:29:29 UTC 2000

janilta wrote:

> Mike, Alan,
>
> Here is I think the 'kopar' declension in Icelandic, which shouldn't be
> much too different from its Norse relative... (kopar-inn)...
> nominative : kopar
> accusative : kopar
> dative : kopari
> genitive : kopars
> And I am not sure whether plural forms are very relevant here for
> 'copper' !
> Bara pinulitidh, sori !... Bless, Yann.

Actually the plural forms _are_ culturally relevant, as
"coppers" were definitely an object as well as a metal in Northwest
culture; a very significant object indeed, occuring in great multiples;
as if Old Norse were relevant......

The Icelandic drops the final '-r' of the Old Norse (I've got the Oxford
Dictionary of Old Icelandic here); I suspect the genitive may simply add
the '-s' to the stem, therefore the same as modern Icelandic; I think
the dative may be koepri or something similar.....