courez pi kuli

Christopher Schindler chris24 at TELEPORT.COM
Tue Jan 18 06:45:46 UTC 2000

LaXayEm kanawi Laksta,

Just to put in my two-cents about "courez" and "kuli" (and I'm just an
armchair linguist) - it does not seem that farfetched that PNW natives would
not confuse the sounds "i" and "e" no matter whose French they were hearing.
It's easy enough to imagine since at least in one Salishan language I am
somewhat familiar with (Lushootseed) the letter "i" is pronounced "i" and
"e" depending on the sound environment.  Maybe it could work the other way
when hearing a foreign word.

Lush pulakli,
chris