The mystery of the Stuwix - an Athapaskan or Chinookan people amongst the Secx'emc chinook

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Jan 18 21:24:31 UTC 2000

There is quite a bit of contention of whether parts of california are PNW.
This has been a historic battle between anthropologists and when I was at
the Natural History Museum, their public wall map cuts the PNW at the
Columbia I think, but I know it did not include California. I had to write
a research proposal last year of the Tolowa and the departmental advisor
for research said she did not agree that the PNW extends to California.
Plus the fact that scholarship between Canada and USA on the PNW is divided
by the international boundary creates another division. Many Canadian
researchers stop the PNW at the border. Very little is fully integrated and
understood of the PNW. And there are many rivalries in the profession of
anthropologists trying to prove THEIR theory of how human settlement began
and the origins of it all. I'll give you references if you want but
recently I had to deal with the Carlson-Matson& Coupland rivalry. M & C are
trying to prove that humans can from an inland corridor, and they rename
Carlson's Pebble Tool Tradition to be the Old Cordilleran Culture. They
include very little of Carlson's research even though he is instrumental
and necessary to archaeology in the PNW. One problem is that many refuse to
believe that a marine migration is possible or that there were two
migrations, inland and marine that were happening at the same time.
David

         coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu