The mystery of the Stuwix - an Athapaskan or Chinookan people amongst the Secx'emc chinook

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Mon Jan 17 08:02:08 UTC 2000

There is another travel book: Native Peoples of the Northwest, By Halliday
and Chehak. It says "In Cooperation with the Affiliated Tribes of Northwest
Indians." I picked it up at Powells a few years ago and I think there is a
newer edition out than the one I have "1996." Chapters are Southeast
Alaska, British Columbia, Western Washington, Western Oregon and Northern
California, Columbia River Gorge and Basin, Idaho and Western Montana. If I
remember right, it speaks pretty well to the history and current situation
of all of the tribal areas I know of, even though I found numerous mistakes.
David

At 07:23 PM 01/16/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>the north-central BC Athapaskans and their southern linguistic cousins
>in Oregon; are they historically connected in known terms?  Either
>Athapaskan or Chinookan speakers, I hope that there might be some trace
>of their existence left........
>
>The book got me to thinking that a useful textbook history on the
>Northwest should incorporate what is known about native peoples'
>relations and migrations and languages in the same terms as state or
>provincial history is discussed.  Maybe it's changed a lot, especially
>in certain school districts, but when I was in school there was a black
>void before the advent of colonialism; some kind of 'no-space/no-time';
>native history was unknown, and uncared-for.  There's more and more
>known about the history of the pre-Contact Northwest; hopefully rising
>interest of the kind that gets the "Traveller's Guide" published will
>lead to broader public knowledge of such interesting parts of Northwest
>history and culture.
>

>These chapters also include account of Nicola, a great frontier-era
>chief whose realm spanned from the Thompson and the Cariboo into the
>Okanagan; as well as (as in each chapter) a straightforward account of
>local native political positions and issues.  I recommend the book if
>you can get it state-side; otherwise it's available in BC Ferries
>bookstores, and probably at www.chapters.com (our equivalent of Barnes &
>Noble on-line); might be chapters.ca.  Nicola was one of the greatest
>and most influential chiefs in post-Contact history, and in functional
>terms was the real ruler of the Yale and Lillooet electoral districts
>upon the Province's creation in 1871 (the territory described being
>nearly everything south of Williams Lake to the US border); he agitated
>for war in 1875 but peace was brokered by Chilliheetza, another great
>chief of the same nation.  The Sce'exmx speak Nlaka'pamux but have just
>as close relations with the Secwepemc and Okanagan peoples; they are
>often referred to as "Nicolas" the way Nlaka'pamux are described as
>"Thompsons" and the Stl'atl'imx the "Lillooets"; the name "Nicola" is
>supposed to be the name conferred upon Hwistesmetxe'qen, "Walking
>Grizzly Bear" by French fur traders.  The history of Nicola's period is
>quite complicated, and sounds like interesting research......
>

>To the Grande Ronders in the list - it might be an interesting exercise
>to try and identify the undefined placenames mentioned in the second
>quotation; it could settle the question as to whether the language
>spoken by the Stuwix was Athapaskan or Chinookan.  I'm sure the local
>band administration cultural people   would be glad to come up with a
>list for you if you asked; the address of the Upper and Lower
>Similkameen, Spaxomin and Sce'exmx administrations are in the book; if
>anyone wants to give it a stab e-mail me to ask me for the details.

David Lewis                     541.684.9003
P.O. Box 3086           Cell 541.954.2466
Eugene, OR 97403

talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
         coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu

                 http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez