Fwd: [sovernspeakout] Fwd: We CAN help make the dictionary accurate

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at USWEST.NET
Tue Jan 18 23:26:11 UTC 2000

Well, I remain intrigued by the possibility that OK came from "okoke
kloshe."  The origins of OK have never been definitively nailed down,
and the proposed ones are all implausible.  This connection occurred
to me while reading Jim's book manuscript and while proofing it this
week I was reminded of it.  (Hasn't anyone else thought of this
before?)  He describes the popularity of the Jargon among Army
officers in the Civil War era, as he says before that war most did a
stint out West early in their careers.  OK appeared in print in the
mid to late 19th century.

It's just the kind of thing which would get chalked on the outside of
shipments of logs or lumber or rail cars or whatever cargoes when
released for shipment, and thereby get carried all around the
country.  (My bet is on lumber, though furs traveled farther and
earlier, and have a more direct connection to native
traders/speakers.)  It could have taken on a special meaning for
grade or quality with an unambiguity superior to any existing English
abbreviation of similar succinctness within a particular business
which would make it useful and enduring.

The introduction of the land telegraph in this era, coincident with
the height of Jargon usage out West,  and the adoption of various
obscure kinds of special brief codes for the use of this new device,
also suggests a possible angle.

But pursuing this one will probably fall somewhat outside of the
native-linguist loop, and may require the assistance of some frontier
military historian types.

But wouldn't it be great to find a Jargon word in such famous and
continuing use?  It sure beats the more specific and now-archaic
term, "hootch."

Regards,

Jeff

P.S.  I just reread Simahoyo's message and see he counts "okay" as
"one of ours."  I'm not sure what he is referring to, but is there
already a Native American origin suggested for this term?