Useful Latin vs. Creative Chinook

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue Jul 25 15:25:54 UTC 2000

Lisa M Peppan wrote:

> [...]

nika tumtum keschi naika sick tumtum (actually that's "I think _because_
I'm depressed, as I don't know "therefore" in Jargon]

> sona si Latine loqueris.
>  Honk if you speak Latin.

Mamook latleh poos maika kumtux Rome wawa.

> ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum!
>  Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

Wake mamook halo naika kull disk!

> catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad
> caput tuum saxum
> immane mittam.
>  I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will
>  fling an enormous rock at your head.

Naika iskum masheen kopa mahsh hyas stone.  Potlatch konaway tollah.
Spose wake potlatch, naika hyak mahsh hyas hyas rock kopa maika latet.

> illiud Latine dici non potest.
>  You can't say that in Latin.

Wake maika skookum mamook wawa okook kopa Rome wawa.

> radix lecti.
>  Couch potato.

"radish teacher"?  Anyway, I had to come up with a word for "couch"
earlier today and came up with "moosum chair".  So "wapato kopa moosum
chair".

> Raptus regaliter
>  Royally screwed

Mamook kopa opoots kahkwa hyas tyee.  [I think in GR Jargon this could
simply be Mamook kahkwa hyas tyee]

> Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
>  Is that a scroll in your toga, or are you just happy
>  to see me?

Mitlite hyas tzum kopa kalakwatie.  Spose wake, mitlite maika cultus
heehee kopa nanitch naika?

> Insula Gilliganis
>  Gilligan's Island

Gilligan Statejay.

> Non possum credere me totum edisse.
>  I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Wake naika iskum tumtum naika muckamuck konaway iktas.

> Vescere bracis meis.
>  Eat my shorts.

Muckamuck naika kalakwahtie

> Noli habere bovis, vir.
>  Don't have a cow, man!

Wake iskum klootchman moos-moos, tillicum!

> Puto vos esse molestissimos.
>  I think that you are very annoying.

Naika klap maika mitlite hyas mesachie kopa latet.  [I find that you are
very nasty to the head]

> Veni, vidi, territus sum, curcurri!
>  I came, I saw, I got scared, I ran!

Chako, Nanitch, Kwass, Cooley!

> Veni, vidi, volo in domum redire.
>  I came, I saw, I want to go home.

Chako, Nanitch, Ticky klatawa kopa house.

> Tua consilia omnia nobis clariora sunt quam lux. Tu delenda est.
>  All your plans are clearer than light to us. You must be destroyed.

Konaway maika tumtum mitlite elip towagh kopa sun kopa nsaika.  Kloshe
maika memaloose.

> Odi brassicum.
>  I hate broccoli.

Wake ticky broccoli.

> Quo usque tandem abutere patentia nostra?
>  How long are you going to abuse our patience?

Kunjih time maika mamook mesachie kopa nsaika wait-tumtum?

> Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.
>  If you can read this, you are overeducated.

Spose maika skookum iskum kumtux okook, maika iskum hyas cultus latet.

> Ille sine toga per viam curret.
>  That man is running through the street without a toga.

Okook man mamook hyas cooley kopa wayhut, pe wake iskum kalakhwatie!

> Ecce potestas casei.
>  Behold the power of cheese.

Yahwa skookum cheese.  (behold the strong cheese)

> Ubi est bibula?
>  Where's the beef?

Kah moos-moos itlwillie?  [or simply "kah itlwillie?" or maybe "kah
yakhwatin?"

> Tu gestas mei cuniculum.
>  You are wearing my rabbit.

Maika iskum naika bunny kahkwa kalakhwatie! [properly "kwitshaddie"
instead of "bunny" but I like the latter in this context.  Lit. "you
have my bunny like an undershirt!"]