More at "American Memory"

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at USWEST.NET
Mon Jul 31 10:21:22 UTC 2000

Whoops, I fired off my last email before I found some more stuff I
hadn't previously seen at the Lib. of Congr. Web site.  If you go to

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/wauhtml/aipnSubjects5.html

and scroll down you will find a different sort of index.  The items
under "Chinook" include a handful of mid-19th century engravings and
photos (photo of a horserace; woman and child in native dress;
engraving of fishing at Willamette Falls, etc.), and the full text of
Melville Jacobs 1930s UW "Texts in Chinook Jargon," which we've been
passing a photocopies around of and I don't think is on-line anywhere
else.  Gov. Stevens' 1854 report to Gov. the Commissioner of Indian
Affairs may also be found here (70 pages), which may be uncomfortable
(for all) to read, but it includes a census and estimated
distribution of population in the appendixes beginning at page 457.