ULALI (last message, as they say on the LINGUISTLIST)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Nov 7 01:56:00 UTC 2000

Howdy, konaway klaksta,

Oh shucks, my guess about ULALI was the pits, but at least it planted the
seeds of a good discussion.  (Looks like almost everyone got the joke.)
Herewith three more messages which are anonymously quoted with the presumed
assent of their writers...  Kloshe polaklie...  Dave...

Kloshe, not cultus hihi!  But it only works for Barry Manilow if
   "Berry"
   and "Barry" are homophonous in your dialect, which they're not in mine
   -
   "Barry" has /ae/ for me. Regional or generational? Probably a bit of
   both.
   It's still a good pun - and wouldn't it be fun to find out that it was
   intentional on the group's part?

   I saw the movie Smoke Signals a couple of years ago, and I remember
   being kind of impressed with the soundtrack, especially the piece that
   was sung during the closing credits.  So I stayed to find out who that
   was, and the credits said it was Ulali.  They struck me as being kind
   of
   "New Age Native American", and given how much I hate new age music, I
   was surprised I liked them so much.  But like I said, they weren't
   just
   new age, but also Native American, and their acapella singing style
   sort
   of reminded me a bit of the group Sweet Honey in the Rock but with a
   stronger (almost African) beat to the whole thing.  So in other words,
   they're really nothing at all like Chuck Berry, nor Barry Manilow.  In
   fact, even the alledged berry-ish associations of their name have
   nothing to do with either of those guys.  Ulali played in Portland not
   too long after I saw the movie, and an article in the Oregonian
   explained their name.  I don't remember now what they said, but it had
   nothihg to do with berry's; and for that matter, had nothing to do
   with
   Chinook either.  Here is a URL I found for the official Ulali Web
   site:

   http://www.ulali.com/

   As you can see, Ulali is claimed to be a Tuscarora name for a wood
   thrush.  Here is another URL I found which has other information:

   http://www.traditionalways.com/ulali.html

   Ulali (you-lah-lee) in the language of the singers (all women) refers
   to a
   mountain thrush.  Sorry, it isn't jargon, as I had originally thought,
   as
   well.  The song they perform at the end of Smoke Signals is quite
   powerful...  Give them a listen sometime.