Alsea translation

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 20 08:58:31 UTC 2000

>tlus pulakli,
>
>Good reading, Linda.  It's not possible to know from the minimal background
>information given just whether he was fluently speaking Chinuk-wawa (which
>would make your reading the more likely), or was talking a more pidgin
>variety, into which we would have to read a great deal from context.
>XawqElh
>nayka kEmtEks.  Alaxti mayka tiki wawa Ila pus chaku-kEmtEks ikta yaka
>tEmtEm??

Once again we seem to be running into a distinction between "fluent
Chinuk-wawa" and "a more pidgin variety"; and on this occasion in the
Oregonian heartland of the Chinuk-wawa, not in the Flathead district or
another remote peripheral region of Jargon usage.  And please note that this
is not as defined by speakers, but rather as qualified by latter-day
analysis, which seems to be setting apart "correct" Jargon from a "more
pidgin variety".  Isn't it "all one wawa" - or not?

MC