Yachats, 1875: Indians to move to Siletz or Salmon River, or assimilate? (J.P. Harrington's notes quoted in Youst book)

zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET
Tue Nov 21 04:41:05 UTC 2000

About the Alsea man's Jargon:

Just talking off the top of my head here, but another possibility is that the Jargon got somewhat garbled, somewhere in the process of being reported at 3rd or 4th or nth hand.

The version in which the guy says he would eat his land  evidently had some currency.  At least, I do remember one or another of Harrington's informants reporting it that way:  not Lottie Evanoff; perhaps Frank Drew or Spencer Scott (I know I have the anecdote in my notes somewhere, but would have to locate it).  The idea being conveyed, as I remember, is that this old Alsea (who is identified in this version) felt THAT connected to his land.  He definitely did not want to leave it.

When I have the opportunity I'll look for this item.  "My" version doesn't have the Jargon, nor even the information that the man was talking Jargon--only the "substance" (so to speak) of what he said.  Of course, it wouldn't be surprising that the Indians would be using Jargon in community meetings at Yachats, where there were speakers of several different tribal languages (if not the dozen or so at Grand Ronde).  Henry

Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net