Tukwilla, cont.

zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET
Wed Oct 18 06:44:35 UTC 2000

My message to the list about Chinuk Wawa taqwla 'hazelnut(s)' (possible origin of the Washington State placename Tukwilla) brought the following confirmation of the word's Chinookan origin from Dell Hymes.  Actually, come to think of it, I've heard taqwla used to mean 'nuts' (any kind)--as in Kathlamet?  Henry

Subject: hazelnut?
To: zenk at uswestmail.net
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at cstone.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:04:40 -0400

Dear Henry,
    I have at least two jobs to do today, but here is a quick response
to your message.

    My dissertation, p. 110, shows

    a'-qula 'a nut' (KT 103.110), and t-(stress on schwa)-qula nuts 143.3

Looking these up in Kathlamet texts, p. 143.3, has tE'qxola  'nuts'
    that is, q with strong aspiration release.
    t- is plural, as you say.
This looks very much as if it could be the source of the word in question,
or part of the source, and fits with understanding the place name to have
to do with hazelnuts.

On p. 103, line 11, there is

    a:'-e:xt  a:'-qula  a-ga:'-mala

    one       nut         its (feminine) kernel

colon = length, ' = stress on preceding vowel.

    There is also in Kathlamet  -qula-im  'camp, camping',
as in KT 231.1   i-ta'-qula.im  their camp, camping (-im is a suffix)
and KT 231.6   k-i-ta'-qula.im 'those who camped'

    Hope this is helpful.
                All best,
                        Dell

Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net