[Fwd: More on Tanasbourne]

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Oct 19 04:27:16 UTC 2000

Klahowya, lhaXayEm, howdy, aa, tanyan yaunhwo,

Thank you, Tom!  --Dave
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: More on Tanasbourne
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:21:04 -0700
From: Tom Larsen <bvtl at odin.pdx.edu>
To: Dave Robertson <TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET>
Cc: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>

3746.E2C0CEE1 at odin.pdx.edu> <18B32C8D.44140FF3.02A0692D at netscape.net>
<39E40BE0.FBBCC6F6 at bigfoot.com>

Hi Dave, (you could post this to the list if you like)

Well, you and Mike are just sooooooooo smart!  I just finally got around
to checking our copy of _Oregon Geographic Names_ by Lewis A. McArthur
(6th ed., rev. & enl., Oregon Historical Society Press, c1992).  There,
on p. 818, under "Tanasbourne", it says:

"Tanasbourne is a substantial real estate development on the Sunset
Highway, US-26, in the vicinity of NW 181st Avenue.  It was developed by
the Standard Insurance Company and named for a combination of Chinook
and Anglo Saxon words meaning small, pretty creeks.  The Chinook jargon
word is Tenas meaning small or little.  Bourn is a Middle English
variant of burn, a small brook."

So, Dave, you seem to be right that this is a rare post-1930's use of
Chinuk in a place-name.  And, Mike, it appears that you are correct that
a "Tanasbourne" is just a "wee chuck".

--
Tom Larsen

Monographic Cataloging Assistant