Upcoming conference possibly to feature a paper on Haida        Pidgin

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Oct 27 03:23:34 UTC 2000

Qhata mayka, Henry?

Thank you for making this point explicit:

psu18009 at PDX.EDU wrote:

> Note though that it is one thing to say that a Hajda pidgin was in use on
the northern NW coast during the early 19th c., another to say that the Haida
Jargon was "the first fur-trade contact language on the Northwest coast."
 ... Chinuk Wawa ... certainly was well established on the lower Columbia by
1834. <

I did a poor job of making my intended point, that before anyone knew Chinook
Jargon on the *northern parts* of the Northwest coast, Haida Jargon was used!

Whatever paper gets written and presented on the topic of a Haida Jargon, it
will probably consist largely of sociohistorical information.  If any actual
citations of Haida Jargon words exist, they'll be delightful news to me.  A
sketch of the knowable history of Haida Jargon would be useful to us students
of Chinook Jargon in several ways, one of which might be in assessing the
possible course of existence of a Nootka Jargon and the effects of the latter
on the history of CJ.  And from the linguist's point of view, an account of a
pidgin which was apparently quickly replaced by an entirely different pidgin
would be excellent reading.

Dret thil nayka, pi alta khakwa, nayka lhatwa.  LhaXayEm.
Dave