Concomly to Lewis & Clark

Ross Clark (FOA LING) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Wed Aug 1 00:53:46 UTC 2001

 Edward Harper Thomas (Chinook, A History and Dictionary, 1935) says:

...Lewis and Clark recorded in their Journal that Concomly [Chinook chief]
said to them, "Waket commatux"-- do not understand, when they tried to
converse with him. (pp.18-19 in 1970 reprint)

I have been going through the L&C journals looking for CJ or anything even
vaguely related to it, and I have not found this quote. I don't doubt that
Concomly might have said this to them; I simply don't know where it is
recorded. Has anyone seen the original of this? My embarrassment at having
missed it will be entirely overcome by gratitude if someone can give me an
actual page reference.

Ross Clark