Re-fwd (A. Grant on Slavey Jargon)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Aug 1 01:41:34 UTC 2001

Hi,

This is for those of you who weren't able to read the attachments in my forwards of Anthony's emails...

Dave

         the sticks
    Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:18:25 +0100
    From: Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com
      To: TuktiWawa at netscape.net
Dear Dave:

   My understanding is that 'the sticks' actually has its roots in CJ stik 'tree, forest'.  I read this somewhere and it seems plausible to me ('the boondocks' is of course
   from Tagalog).

   Anthony
[7/29/01]
Dear Dave:

   You may wish to know that Peter Bakker has an article on this language in a volume on Arctric pidgins edited by Ernst Haakon Jahr and published by Mouton a few
   years ago.  Michael Krauss of ANLC at Fairbanks has looked at the French loans in Slavey Jargon and in relevant Athapaskan languages.  I'm no Athapaskanist but I
   wonder whether some of the 19th century vocabularies of those languages actually represented jargonised varieties (just as some early 'Chinook' vocabularies, given in
   all good faith as being samples of ethnic Chinook varieties are actually Wawa)

   Anthony Grant

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous