"LaManti Tupso Illahee Chapter Homepage" URL

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 27 07:31:04 UTC 2001

>From: Dave Robertson <tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET>
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: "LaManti Tupso Illahee Chapter Homepage" URL
>Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 00:19:49 -0500
>
>My friends, I admit it, I'm spending an evening idly websurfing!
>
>Here is the URL for some kind of Boy Scout group that may be using Chinook
>Jargon as a secret language...or something:
>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~jeimer/index.htm

Doesn't seem so secret to me, since there's Jargon all over the website.  I
found the following list of chapters:

    Name                    Abbreviation
Ashuk T'salil                    ATS
Hyas Eena                       HEN
Hyiu Chuck                     HYC
LaManti  Tupso Illahee     LTI
Mox Kar-Po                    MKP
Siam Chetwoot               SCT
Sunyakwa                      SUN
Wa Wa Talapus              TAL
Tenas Chakchak             TCC
Yakala                            YAK

as well as the interesting notice that the chapters in question hold
meetings and ceremonies in Native American regalia.  Before anyone jumps off
about "appropriation" it might be worth asking if these chapters have any
significant Native American connections/participation; the chapter
description for LaManti Tupso Illahee chapter of the Order of the Arrow says
"King County and the Olympic Peninsula".

It's also worth noting that, given your many findings tonight, the Jargon
seems far from dead, at least as a local-reference lexicon, which (for
example) the Order of the Arrow seems to have devoted itself to using and
propagating.....

MC