"LaManti Tupso Illahee Chapter Homepage" URL

Ray Sayah Jr. rsayah at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Tue Feb 27 09:21:03 UTC 2001

Friends,

I think that I can shed some light on this particular organization.

The Order of the Arrow was formed in 1915 as an honored camper program for
Boy Scouts in Pennsylvania. Boys in the Order were called to service and
fellowship. The Order was formed with a simple ceremony of induction which
contained character names and a legend that were derived from Lenape and
Lenni Lenape tradition. It wasn't long after that the Order had spread and
each lodge began asking native groups in their area for permission to use
songs, costumes and dances as a sideline to the program. Some of the lodges
gained the permission locally. Use of Indian songs, dances, and regalia
varied from area to area.

The Order had become a national organization with lodges in every part of
the country by the fifties. The website that Dave found is for a chapter
(subset) that belongs to the T'kope Kwiskwis Lodge. T'kope kwiskwis covers
the Olympic Peninsula as well as King County. The Lodge was formed in 1954
and uses Chinook Jargon for chapter names and a few other items.

As far as native regalia, songs and dances, each piece of family property
has been given to the lodge for use by a specific family member in good
standing. Lummi traditions, for instance, were passed on by Joseph Hillaire
and reinforced by his daughter (we are told that the Lummi songs and dances
have been fixed for public use so that they are not powerful like the
authentic Lummi dances and songs) Among the Regalia used is button blankets
and dancing kilts, reinforced by the teachings of Bill Holm in the 1960's.

The boys that learn the traditions are intent on causing no offense, harm,
or shame to Indians or Indian sensibilities. I'd say that at least a third
of the boys involved have something near and eighth Indian descendancy. If
you want to discuss some particulars, please send me a private email.

Thanks for listening!

Ray