origin of "quimnut"

zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET
Wed Feb 28 06:29:02 UTC 2001

If "quinnat" derives from "quimnut", then it may not mean anything that "quinnat" suggests the Lower Chinook word for 'chinook salmon':  i-gwanat.  When does "saumon quinnat" first appear anywhere?  Franchere's narrative of his experiences on the Lower Columbia first appeared in French, in 1820.  And he has "Equannet" there as the Chinook word for salmon.  Henry

Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net