New book: Sto:lo/Coast Salish Historical Atlas

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Jun 21 23:00:30 UTC 2001

This is a preliminary post about a book I saw at Granville Books last
night, which I'll probably get next week sometime and will post the full
publication details then.  The title is as in the subject header and
it's an intensive linguistic/toponymical geography and history of the
Fraser-Straits; everything from the Ice Age onwards, and beautifully
illstrated and mapped, with great write-ups.  Reminds me of the
Historical Atlas of BC and the Pacific Northwest I posted about last
year, except this one's _nicer_ and (hard to believe) far more
detailed.  Lavish, even.  For linguists it has probably the most
extensive compilation of the native toponymy that's in (readable) print,
and I'd think that any Salishanist will want to have this on the
bookshelf, and soon.  Apparently it's up for BC's Book of the Year Award
(whatever it's called) and is likely to win.....

MC