Tillamook CJ

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sat Nov 3 03:25:48 UTC 2001

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> The Salishan Tillamook were apparently using CJ in 1805-6:
>
> Meriwether Lewis says, on 10 Jan. 1806 (Jrnls. Lewis & Clark Exped.,
> vol. 6, 1990, p. 194) "The Killamucks in their habits customs manners
> dress and language differ but little from the Clatsops & Chinnooks."

Sounds plausible, save for the vagueness of Lewis' comment; it _could_
be that he's alluding only to similar sound systems; if he'd said
something like "they speak to one another in their own tongues easily"
then we'd have something a bit more precise.  Still, it's logical to
assume that the Tillamooks would have had a common argot with their
neighbours, being isolated from the Salishan geographic community
farther north and east.

MC