Tillamook CJ

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sat Nov 3 16:02:37 UTC 2001

Mike Cleven wrote:

> Sounds plausible, save for the vagueness of Lewis' comment; it _could_
> be that he's alluding only to similar sound systems; if he'd said
> something like "they speak to one another in their own tongues easily"
> then we'd have something a bit more precise.  Still, it's logical to
> assume that the Tillamooks would have had a common argot with their
> neighbours, being isolated from the Salishan geographic community
> farther north and east.

Earlier (7 Jan., p. 177), Clark had hired a guide from a small mixed
settlement of Clatsops and Killamox. He doesn't identify the ethnic
group of his guide, but it seems clear that CJ was used in that
community: the guide described a particularly difficult part of their
route as Pe Shack, 'bad, dangerous', a Nootkan word.

Alan