Spanish vocabularies of Nootka

George Lang george.lang at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Nov 5 21:13:30 UTC 2001

Iris H. Wilson Engstrand's edition of Moziño's Noticias de Nutka has a
dense footnote on p. 52 in which we learn, first, that a certain linguistic
expert of Mexico City was asked by the Viceroy to prepare a comparative
dictionary of Spanish, Nahuatl, Nootka and "Sandwich" in view of
Malaspina's 1791 expedition, and presumably did.

At about the same time, the Spanish captain Martínez had a Spanish
translation of Ingraham's Nootka wordlist, which the Spanish preferred to
Cook, which they also had in translation, because the latter was "defective
in pronunciation"

This and other "Bocabularios" of the northern coast are in mss. form in the
Spanish archives, according to Engstrand (who also provides Moziño's Nootka
word list).  When we get the Congressional Serial Set reference for the
1813 contact in Peru, we should be able to determine if one of those
Spanish Nootka word lists was the one was being called "Jargon".
Interesting, eh?