Valdes Nootka vocabulary

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Nov 6 00:42:52 UTC 2001

the other source I mentioned is actually not Pethick but John Kendrick's
The Men with Wooden Feet: The Spanish Exploration of the Pacific Northwest.
NC Press Limited , Toronto, 1985.
Page 76 has a great photo of a page from Mozino's Noticias de Nutka. These
Spanish vocabularies are apparently in Spanish archives. I think it is
Junior Captain Don Cayetano Valdes who is mentioned in the Serial set and
he anchored at Nootka on August 31, 1792 (p.9).

a description of language and discourse is on pages 86-87.
p. 87
" I was able to Identify a few of the words because they have come into use
in the lingua franca known to linguists as the Chinook Jargon which was
still used on the Coast in my boyhood. Klutsma means a woman, mo huec or
moech means a deer, and clush mean good. Tenas, which to Mozino meant
"little boy," can mean this in Chinook lingue franca, although it often
means just "little."

Kendrick also has an appendix with a word list vocabulary in Spanish,
Nootka and English.

The question I have is whether the word list was created by Mozino or
Valdes? I would think Mozino did this as it was common for commanders of
expeditions to take credit for all the work their charges had done. I tried
to scan the photo in the book, let me know if it came out alright.

David

David Gene Lewis                        Department of Anthropology
Graduate student                        University of Oregon
         cell 541-510-0217                               Eugene, OR 97403

coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu                      talapus at kalapuya.com
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez           http://www.kalapuya.com

Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde,  Kalapuya Tribe