People who had Chinook Jargon names

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Nov 9 01:15:29 UTC 2001

"David D. Robertson" wrote:

> LaXayam,

> What other Chinook Jargon personal names can you think of?  Share them on
> the list, and maybe we'll figure out more answers to these questions.

Perhaps the most famous of them all - Skookum Jim, who was the
co-discoverer of the Klondike Goldfields......I believe he was Interior
Tlinkit.....

The Oleman and Scotchman families of the Lillooet area have retained
their family names since frontier times; although the feeling there is
that "Oleman" comes from "Oldman" (an Irish family name) rather than
from the Chinook "oleman"; methinks that speakers and users wouldn't
have noticed the difference.....

One proper name that occurred to me lately _may_ be Jargon is the name
of the small river ferry at Ft. Langley-Albion; "T'lagunna", which at
first read looks very Salishan and maybe is; but if t'l=>kl then there's
an echo of the Chinook "klakwun" (to wipe, to wipe clean).  How this
relates to what this word is supposed to be - the native name for the
Golden Ears, the peaks which overlook the area - is beyond me; Terry G
would know if this is a Halqemeylem-Kwantlen/Katzie name, however.....

MC