Wright, Robin K. "Northern Haida Master Carvers"

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Apr 18 04:49:38 UTC 2002

Hello, Mr and Mrs Boston & all the Clutos at sea,

Today I was able to spend several minutes looking over a swell new book,
Robin Wright's "Northern Haida Master Carvers" from U. of Washington Press,
2001.  She's put together a smashing presentation.

Extremely thorough in its research, this book reads more like a historical
narrative than art text, though it's amply illustrated.  The author has
included extensive quotations from all the earliest relevant sources, some
of whom I'd like to cite at greater length in an upcoming posting.  In
brief, I'll characterize this volume as beautiful and illuminating.

At this time, let me limit the discussion to a couple of words for probably
pan-Coastal trade items.  We've already done some discussing of "clamons",
which were elk-skin (used as) armor, and of "hiquah" dentalium-shell money
in its various spellings, but can any of you teach me about these two
words?--

<cutsacks> "sea otter cloaks"
<cunstagas> ???

Both appear without explanatory comment in a British ship's journal from
the early contact period.

-- Dave