Shipboard newspapers from early contact times

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Apr 18 23:29:08 UTC 2002

"David D. Robertson" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apparently newspapers were published aboard many of the ships sailing the
> fur trade routes in early contact times, and apparently some are archived.
> Has any of you viewed these?  I'm considering requesting microfilms of them
> through interlibrary loan.

I'm curious as to the particular era in question; "fur trade routes in
early contact times" to me means the 1780s-90s, and AFAIK ships in those
days were rather small and I would expect most of the crews would have
been pretty well illiterate; what we have from that era is ship's logs,
plus diaries like those of Frances Barclay (Barkley?).  Are you more
meaning the 1820s-40s?

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)